Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Interview with a PA-S from UNTHSC

1) Why did you choose to be a PA?

I chose to become a PA because I really wanted to have a career in the medical field, but I also wanted other things in life like raising a family. The shorter duration of PA school and the fact that we don't have to do residency allows for both of those things. Furthermore, I really wanted to have a position that would allow me to spend a lot of time with patients. I feel that becoming a PA will satisfy all of my goals and I've been very happy with my decision.


2) What did you do to prepare to apply?

I focused on making myself into a well-faceted applicant. I was involved in multiple organizations at my school, participated in community service projects, held a job, and shadowed at the ED. PA programs want to see that you can balance more than just academics because once you are in school, they will encourage you to join professional organizations and do community service projects.


3) How many schools did you apply to and interview with? What were the interviews like? How did you choose UNTHSC?

I applied to 4 schools and interviewed at 3. My interviews were nerve wracking of course, but my suggestion is to make sure you're prepared. You'll be nervous no matter what, but as long as that's not your very first time in an interview, you'll do just fine. I realized at my interview day that I really wanted to go to UNTHSC because unlike the students at other some of the other schools, the UNTHSC students looked happy and invigorated. It scared me that at some of the schools that I visited, the students looked like zombies but at UNTHSC, it was a completely different feel.


4) What has surprised you about UNT's PA program so far?

I was surprised at how involved their faculty is in ensuring the success of their students. Each student is assigned a mentor (faculty member) for the duration of the program, and the goal of the mentor is to serve as a support system with any academic or personal issues that the student is willing to talk about. It's a great resource, and a good way to get to know your professors too.


5) Have you found any successful strategies for surviving the didactic portion of your program?

Study groups have worked out really well for me. We spend so much time in the classroom listening to lectures so the last thing that I wanted to do was sit and study by myself. It nice to learn interactively, plus explaining concepts between group members really helped solidify everything for me.


6) What's the coolest things you've done so far?

The coolest thing so far was learning from cadavers in the anatomy lab. It was a great opportunity to be able to see the bodies first hand and learn from a team that included anatomy professors, forensics personnel, anthropologists, and health care providers. Also it's pretty neat how comfortable you get with dead bodies.


7) Any advice for future applicants other than good grades and shadowing?

I highly suggest that pre-PA students become involved with TAPA, the Texas Academy of Physician Assistants. The benefit is great for students because it allows you to stay informed about the profession (which is more important now more than ever because of health care reform) and along with your membership, you get a seriously reduced registration price for the TAPA Conferences. Going to at least one TAPA Conference would be a really good idea because there are student tracks that are focused on enriching lives of students before entering PA school, during school, and in the transition from school to practice. Additionally, there are a ton of faculty members from all the schools there. In fact, I was asked during one of my interviews if I ever attended one of the conferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...