Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Interview with a UTMB PA-S

Here's an interview with the TAPA student director from UTMB.

1) Why did you want to be a PA?

I started my undergraduate career as a biology major because I always had a passion for the biological sciences. I specifically chose the PA career due to my interest in medicine and a desire to help others. I was attracted to the flexibility of the PA profession in regards to specialization. Overall I also like the flexibility of the work schedule. You are trained like a doctor but have the option of working less
hours. Essentially, the PA profession was a good match for my passion for medicine and appreciation of medical team in the care of patients. PA vs NP = PAs are trained in the medical model of care similar to a physician whereas an NP is trained in the nursing model of care.

2) What did you do before starting PA school?

I went straight from my undergrad university into PA school so my medical experience was limited. I shadowed and volunteered with nurses and ER doctors at a local ER (Scott and White). I also shadowed an orthopedic PA from Scott and White. I was very active during my time at my undergraduate university, however. I was a co captain of my cross country and track teams, vice president of a volunteer organization (Alpha Phi Omega), volunteer coordinator of the biological honor society (Beta Beta Beta), and secretary of our leadership organization on campus.

3) What was your application process like? (how many schools, interviews, how did you choose)

The application process is probably one of the most difficult parts of PA school. Be sure to start early and spend lots of time on the application. It will pay off! I applied to 5 Texas PA programs and was invited to interview at 4. I essentially chose the school that I thought was the best fit and offered the best education. I am guilty of looking at the school rankings and partially basing my decision on that factor but I have learned that those rankings are very politically driven and don’t always represent the true ranking of the schools. I definitely encourage you to find the program that you feel is the best fit. Don’t worry about rankings, especially in Texas, because all the schools produce wonderful, intelligent, and capable PAs.

4) How does UTMB stand out to you? What do you now appreciate about the program that you weren't aware of during the interview?

UTMB is a very student friendly program. We are a tight knit community within the program and all our professors have an open door policy. Also, UTMB is unique in offering the opportunity to begin seeing patients during the didactic year at the student run clinic on the island. St. Vincent’s clinic serves the medically underserved population of Galveston. Students see patients, present to senior faculty, and broaden their clinical skills while helping the uninsured population of Galveston. There is no greater feeling! This is unique to UTMB. Also, UTMB is a very inexpensive program compared to others in Texas. This was a big factor for me because I had loans from undergrad. Another unique feature of UTMB is the diversity of our clinical rotations. We have rotations all over the state of Texas which allows students to serve a wide variety of populations. This enhances cultural diversity as well as medical knowledge of a wider range of medical conditions. Finally, our clinical rotations are geared toward your interest as a student. I was allowed to chose 3 different medical specialties and one surgery elective.

5) What has surprised you about PA school so far?

I knew PA school was going to be difficult but I never thought it would be the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It has definitely been a journey and I am very proud of the hard work that goes into completing any PA program. It is tough so be prepared, learn time management, and learn how to de-stress. Another surprising part of PA school is how close you become to your classmates. I have made friends in PA school that I will have for the rest of my life. Finally, I am surprised and rateful for how fun rotations have been. Didactic year is tough and you learn so much about medicine but nothing ever makes perfect sense until you go out on clinical rotations. You learn so much more and it makes the learning and hard work from didactic year worth all the effort.

6) What has been your strategy for surviving the didactic portion of the program?

Time management and stress management. Be willing to work hard and long hours. I literally went to class, came home, studied all night until midnight only breaking for dinner, and waking up by 6 am and going to school before classes started to study some more. You are taking lots of classes and learning lots of new information. One analogy is drinking water from a fire hydrant. Drink as much as you can without drowning. That’s how it is for the didactic portion of the program. So learn how to manage you time wisely and prioritize your classes. But don’t forget to take time for yourself. I enjoy cooking and working out so I would always give myself time to do those things. And you will be stressed out so find things to help you de-stress. Oh, and warn your family, friends, and loved ones that you will be less available during this time. They may think you have dropped off the face of the earth

7) What do you wish you had done to prepare for PA school?

I don’t think I would have changed much of how I prepared for PA school. I didn’t study the summer before I started and I am glad that I enjoyed my time off. Vacation time is few and far between so take every moment to enjoy vacation time. I might have been more prepared if I had taken a year off between undergrad and PA school and done more shadowing, research, or more medical training but I did well during the didactic portion and I have been doing really well during the clinical rotation portion.

8) What advice would you give a future PA?

For the pre-PA students I think you are preparing well for a future in PA school. I never had a pre-PA society to join so I had to do my research on my own. Research as much as you can about the PA profession, different specialties, PA programs, and the curriculum. You are already a step ahead of the game by being a member of a pre-PA society! I would also say to be aware of the way healthcare works and how you feel PAs play a role in the delivery of healthcare, especially underserved areas. If
you are looking for loan repayment options, the National Health Service Corps is a great place to apply for a scholarship or loan repayment after graduation. PAs are one branch of the NHSC. The NHSC serves medically underserved areas throughout the nation. Finally, if you can go on a medical mission trip, this is another great opportunity to expand your medical and cultural knowledge and improve your resume
Plus they are super fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...