Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Inerview with Todd Pickard, PA-C

Todd is a PA-C I met at the TAPA conference last February. He is not only very active in TAPA, but has also expanded PA representation in management at a major medical center.

1) Why did you choose to be a PA?

I knew that I wanted to do something in medicine but was not sure what that was. I had a PA that worked with my family physician growing up and I remembered that I really liked her and what she got to do for a living. After college I worked as an EMT for a while and then medical sales. I even did a stint in nursing school before I realized that being a PA was what I really wanted. 


2) What program did you graduate from? How did you choose it?

I went to the Emory University PA Program. Out of all the schools that I interviewed, It had the best fit with my personality. They stressed team-work not competition. That was really appealing to me.


3) What is your area of practice? What does a normal day look like to you?

I work at MD Anderson Cancer Center. I have been a PA for over 15 years and have worked in Urology, Medical Oncology and Cancer Prevention. I now spend the majority of my time in Administration and Management. 


4) You've created a new leadership position for PAs a your hospital. Tell us about that role and how you created it.I am the Director of PA Programs.

As the number of PAs grew at MD Anderson, it was clear that there needed to be some structure and leadership for the PA group. Also there was a great deal of misunderstanding about our scope of practice, role, training, capabilities and the laws that govern our practice. PAs have not traditionally been engaged at high-levels in administrative and management. I thought it was time to change that. I got involved in committees and policy work for my institution. I then wrote a business plan and presented that to the physician leadership. They agreed and now we have a robust PA organization at MD Anderson.


5) Tell us about your work with TAPA. What ways have you been involved?

I have mainly been involved in legislative affairs and political action with TAPA. I am currently the chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee and just recently was elected to Director-at-large. I really enjoy the political process and advocating for PAs. I have a strong commitment to seeing our profession recognized for the contributions and good work that we do. I also have a passion for our voice to be heard at the highest levels in government.


6) What professional evolution do you hope to see for PAs?

I would expect that PAs continue to be vital members of the health care team and to take on greater roles in administration, management, health care policy, and leadership.


7) Any advice for future applicants beside good grades and shadowing?

Volunteer at a hospital. Be an orderly or unit clerk or nursing assistant. Hands-on patient care is much more meaningful than shadowing. Reply Forward

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...