Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Interview with a PA-S from Texas Tech


1) Why did you choose to be a PA?

I chose to be a PA because of my passion of the human body and the driving motivation to make a difference in people's lives. I also love to learn and thrive in a challenging environment.


2) What did you do to prepare to apply?

I focused on making good grades in all of my prerequisite courses. I got involved with leadership positions on my campus. I shadowed as much as I could. I started the application process early and submitted my application before September. I focused on writing an excellent essay.

3) How many schools did you apply to and interview with? What were the interviews like? How did you choose Texas Tech?

I applied to 5 schools in Texas: TTUHSC, UTSA, UTMB, UTSW, UNTHSC. I only had one interview with Texas Tech but committed before I had the opportunity to get offers from any other school. I chose Texas Tech mainly because it chose me. I loved the atmosphere and the solitary attention the PA students received because we are the only students who use our building. The faculty were very relaxed and very encouraging. They didn't try to intimidate you during interview.

4) What has surprised you about Texas Tech's PA program so far?
My biggest surprise is how well our class gets along and helps each other. We help each other study. We're always giving each other study tools, studying in groups, and tutoring each other. We've become a family and have been there for each other outside of school as well.


5) Have you found any successful strategies for surviving the didactic portion of your program?
Time Management! Don't wait until the last minute to try and study. There's always more material than you realized that you needed to get through. You can't study too much either. If you think you know the material extensively there's always something in there that you missed. Study study study up until the very last minute before you take your test. But on the flip side, take some R&R time. Time management is key. So give yourself plenty of time to study but schedule in some down time or you will burn yourself out and not want to stay motivated and slack off.


6) What's the coolest things you've done so far?
Suture lab, Emergency Medicine ACLS, BLS, PALS certification courses, Sim lab, IV lab, and travelling and being apart of TAPA conferences and Board of Directors Meetings.


7) Any advice for future applicants other than good grades and shadowing?

Brag confidently but also humbly in your essay about the reasons why you will make an excellent PA. Say things other than I want to help people. Mention your medical/clinical experience but don't focus on listing your resume. Talk about how they have changed and shaped your mind and attitude towards being a PA. Be well rounded. Do something other than just shadow. It could be something completely unrelated to medicine. Be yourself and confident in your interviews. Ask as many questions as you can. Be enthusiastic.

1 comment:

  1. PALS stands for Pediatric Advanced Life Support is a 2 days training program by American Heart Association. On successfully completing this course candidates get knowledge about pediatric healthcare.

    ReplyDelete

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...