Monday, August 27, 2012

First Week of School - PCOM

Here's some thoughts from a new PA-S at Pennsylvania College of Osteopathic Medicine.

1) How did you prepare for the start of PA school?
Since I only had a little under a month before graduating and going to PCOM, all I did was try to relax as much as possible.  I would say the most important thing is figuring out where you're going to live, getting furniture and household stuff, and learning the area (grocery stores, restaurants, etc).  Once school starts you won't have much time to do these things.  Regarding "studying" or something for school, I wouldn't recommend it.  Take the time instead to relax so you are fresh for class once the first semester starts.  Spend time with family who you won't have time to see once school starts.

2) What has been the most interesting thing you have learned so far? What has been the hardest?
We just started our 2nd semester and learning to take histories is kind of cool (as cool as school can get I guess).  The summer semester was A&P, which was interesting, but also stressful.  Learning to take a history is more fun because you get to work with people and it's also things you do as a clinician.  I am looking forward to learning the physical here starting next week (reflexes, ophthalmoscope, heart sounds, etc). We haven't got that deep into the fall semester so not sure which class is the hardest, so far it seems bearable.  The summer was very challenging, especially anatomy, because there is so much to learn and not enough time to learn it.

3) What study strategy has worked? What hasn't?
The biggest thing is staying on top of things.  I have a small study group, me plus two people, and going over things and quizzing each other has been a huge help.  I am a big fan of reading the book but you can only do that so much in PA school.  I try to at least read the tougher topics once.  For my H&P class right now, so far I am able to read every page of the book.  For anatomy I only opened that thing once.  DRAWING THINGS OUT - huge help, especially for blood vessels!  Definitely do that once you get to anatomy, draw every blood vessel out.  And mnemonics, huge help.  Making charts, e.g. "things going through greater sciatic notch" "through lesser... etc etc".  I have been listening to recorded lectures (the school records and posts them for us) for my harder classes which I think has been helping. I listen on 1.5x speed.  Drawing things and writing things down definitely.  It is not enough just to read slides and think you have it.  Also learn what is a good investment of time (read for some classes, study groups with certain people, drawing) and what is too time consuming (some people are hard to study with, some classes reading is not a good idea, etc).

4) What do you like about PA school vs. undergrad studies?

Home stretch!!!  Not having to work is nice.  The debt is heftier.  Learning things that have a use is always nice.  But it is much more stressful in the sense of less time to learn more.  But it is easier in the sense that you don't have to balance a full time job on top of school.  But don't worry you will be there soon enough man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...