Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Interview with a PA-C

Here's an interview with a PA I work with in the Critical Care Unit. She was a Respiratory Therapist in Canada for 20 years before coming to the US and going to PA school.

Please note: this interview is a transcription of our conversation, so it might read differently.


1) Why did you choose to be a PA?

I was always interested in the medical field and I knew I didn't want to be an MD. When I heard I could be part of decision making as a PA I knew I'd prefer it to being an RT.

2) Tell me about your experience as an RT.

I was an RT for 20 years. I had a wonderful experience and it definitely has made me a better PA. It helps in the ICU to have that experience in my background. In Canada, the RTs also do anaesthisia so I had a fairly wide scope of practice.

3) What was it like to go to school with a family?

It wasn't easy but definitely doable. I thought it would be really hard, but its a short term commitment you make. You just have to choose how to spend that time. My first year I had almost a 4.0 but I didn't see my family at all. I realized I could still excel academically and have a better balance between school and home. I graduated with a 3.5, so I still did well and was able to have a better balance.

4) What has surprised you about practicing as a PA-C?

There haven't been too many surprises. I felt well informed about the role plus I'm still new, so I haven't encountered very many surprises yet. You do get more respect as a PA vs RT. I guess I never thought about that.


5) You are working in Critical Care and in Primary Care. What led you to those two specialties? What is it like being in both of those worlds?

I really like working the primary care on the side. It helps me retain a lot of what I used in school, prepares me for my recertification, and its a different kind of medicine than in the ICU. You don't give someone IV medication for blood pressure; you have to think more long term.

I have worked in an ICU as an RT for so long that I knew I would fit well. My passion is working in a hospital, and the ICU is home to me. I'm very comfortable there. But I am also loving primary care.

6) How did you pick your PA program?

I had to apply 2 times. I picked them because they were a great program and I really couldn't move. It was between UTSW and UNTHSC. I picked it because of the reputation (highly ranked), rotation locations, and 100% PANCE pass rate.

7) Any advice for PrePAs besides good grades and shadowing?

You have to REALLY REALLY want it, badly. I still feel like I got lucky because there were people smarter than me who didn't get in. But I stuck with it, applied again, kept after it. Second round applicants can have a better shot because it shows how much you want it to apply again. Its so competetive that you really have to stand out somehow and be passionate about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...