Monday, January 30, 2012

Interview with a PA-C

Here's an interview from a PA that works in the Emergency Department at my hospital.

1) Why did you choose the PA profession?

I was thinking about med school and optometry school at first. Decided optometry was going to be too boring. Chose PA school after speaking with counselor at UT. Didn't know anything about it at the time. It was more of a time/length of school factor for me.

2) Tell me about your preparation for application to a PA program.

Really just looking at the pre-req's ad concentrating on my grades, especially in my core classes (sciences)

3) What was your most challenging period as a PA-S?

Most challenging periods were the in-patient clinicals with call schedules. I think they have changed/limited the number of hours now, but at the time, I would be at the hospital for 30-40 hours straight on those days.

4) What areas of practice have you worked in as a PA-C?

Only emergency medicine so far

5) How do you think the role of a PA will change in the future?

I hope to think it will only get stronger. Our value seems to be our best asset.

6) What advice would you give an aspiring PA?

Concentrate on grades in school. It is pretty competitive, so don't slack on studying. Also, I think now they are wanting some type of experience/exposure, so volunteer, work or shadow when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...