Tuesday, February 28, 2012

TAPA Conference Thoughts

Like I said before, I had a great time over the 2 days I attended the TAPA conference last weekend in Dallas. As a PrePA, I was able to peek into the world I've been working to be a part of for two years. I was able to talk with people who have been working as a PA since the 70s, new grads who just finished their first year in practice, students looking forward to rotations, and leaders of the profession in every category working to make my future career better.

Here are some highlights:

- DVT Lecture from a Surgeon at UTSW
- Meeting 5 former/current/future Presidents of TAPA
- Hearing feedback on my preparations from representatives of the PA schools in Texas
- Hearing how legislation has opened up PAs to have licenses, get better reimbursement, and now the ability to be a partial opener in a practice
- Knowing the right answer to 5 Challenge Bowl Questions (out of 50+, most of which I didn't even understand)
- Meeting an unending amount of friendly and generous people who were willing to help me and other PrePAs get where they are
- Learning about apps that I can use right now to start learning what I will use in my future practice

As a PrePA, I would recommend joining TAPA and going to a conference. See who you will be working with, who you will be in school with, who will train you, and who is advocating for PAs. You get a glimpse into what awaits, and its an exciting glimpse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...