Sunday, January 15, 2012

Interview with PA-C and TAPA President!

Lauren Dobbs is the President-elect for TAPA and a PA-C in Pediatrics. She was kind enough to let me interview her, so be sure to check out what she says below! (ed: she is also faculty at UNT HSC)

1) Why did you choose the PA profession?
I chose the PA profession for a variety of reasons but one thing that stood out was the ability to move from one specialty to the next. I like variety and knowing I did not have to pick an area of medicine and work in that area for my entire career was intriguing. As a PA you can work in surgery for 10 years, Pediatrics for 5 and oncology for another 5-10 if you wish. I think this may also prevent burn out that so many other professions endure.


2) Tell me about your preparation for application to a PA program
When I prepared for application to PA programs, I researched a variety of programs and found 8-10 programs that sounded like a good fit for me. I made sure I met all the qualifications for each program and applied using CASPA. I kept track of deadlines, secondary applications, interviews and such in a planner and tracked each program as I received acceptance and rejection letters and gradually narrowed my selection down to one.


3) What was your most challenging period as a PA-S?
The most challenging period as a physician assistant student for me was the end of the didactic year. This period was a mental challenge because as a student I was burned out on classroom time, enduring study fatigue and eager to get into the clinics and actually apply information I had learned. Now I look forward to conferences to get additional classroom time.


4) What has surprised you since you've become a PA-C?
I was surprised to find how many patients do not know about physician assistants. We are a relatively new profession and constant education on our field of medicine is necessary for the education of our patients, their families, and their friends as our profession grows.


5) What areas of practice have you worked in as a PA-C?
I have worked in general pediatrics thus far.


6) How did you first get involved with TAPA?
I first got involved with TAPA a month after I moved to the state of Texas. I had emailed a TAPA executive board member prior to conference discussing that I was new to the area and wanted to get involved. I attended the conference and was introduced to various leaders, committee chairs, and others. During this conference, I attended meetings and joined several committees. By the end of the year, I was chairing a committee and have worked with TAPA ever since.


7) How has participating in TAPA benefited you?
TAPA has been a great resource for me. It helps keep me current on the laws, allows me to network with other PAs, and provides CME in order for me to keep my license up to date.


8) How do you think the role of a PA will change in the future?
I think as health care shortages cause larger demand for services PAs will fill the areas with provider shortages and allow more patient access.


9) What advice would you give an aspiring PA?
Advise: You will never know it all. Keep learning every day. If you don't, you will never know enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...