Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Things I did to Prepare: Mock Interviews

My background is in recruiting, so I'm very comfortable with interviews. Preparing for questions, understanding the tone and pace, and ways to positively conclude an interview are all very familiar territory for me. I have still GREATLY benefited from doing mock interviews with my peers. Questions I hadn't thought of come up, answers that sounded good in my head my not deliver as well in person, and just practicing sitting in front of someone all gave me a much sharper preparation than I would otherwise have.

Our mock interview sessions go like this: We both come up with questions, meet at an agreed time, and treat the situation like a real interview. I'll ask all my questions, making notes about the answers and anything else I want to address afterwards. Then we trade and I get asked questions. We try to cover at least four known questions (popular) and two unknown. At the end we go over what we could do better, anything that stood out as strange or out of place, and anything that was positive and helpful.

Mock interviews are great training. An actual interview adds a great deal of pressure, so its better to have run through the situation a few times in a safer scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...