Sunday, October 9, 2011

Interview with PA-S

Here's an interview from last year with Tim Loerke. He is now a PA-C, but at the time he was in his clinicals at UNTHSC. Check out his blog at http://community.advanceweb.com/blogs/pa_2/default.aspx

1. Why did you pick the PA profession?
The PA profession answered deep desires that could not have been met by becoming a physician. The ultimate responsibility of a PA is to practice medicine to the best of their ability while responding to the direction of their supervising physician. The doctor has more than just medicine to worry about because ultimately there is a business to run. Also, I like variety and the thought of being tied to one field of medicine is discouraging. I want the freedom to work in surgery for 5 years and then switch to emergency medicine and so on. As you know, a doctor chooses their route and sticks with it and to deviate from that path takes more than they would prefer.

2. What did you do to prepare for PA school?
I reviewed anatomy/physiology and medical terminology.

3. Are there any courses (aside from prerequisites) that you would recommend taking to prepare? What about other non-academic preparations?
Biochemistry is not required by all but I would highly recommend it (UNE has a great distance learning course that only focuses on medical Biochem). I would recommend Medical Terminology because even to this day I go back and reference the meaning of words to better understand my patients. Non-academic preparations...shadow PAs...shadow physicians keeping in mind that you will do exactly as they do (even in surgery...consider yourself as the doc's 3rd and 4th hand). Read, read, read...whatever you want...just get comfortable with reading. Research the laws affecting PAs in the state of Texas...know what you are getting yourself into...hint, go to the Texas Legislation and look under Texas statutes and then under the Occupational codes...you will be a step ahead of the rest.

4. How many schools did you apply for and interview with? Why did you pick UNTHSC?
It took me 3 years to be accepted. Year 1: UTSW, Year 2: UNTHSC and UTSW, Year 3: UTSW, UNTHSC, Samuel Merit in Oakland, and a school in Oregon. I only interviewed at UNTHSC, hence why I chose them. The key is to apply to as many places as you can see yourself living in. My scope was very limited at first because I did not want to move my wife away from home...it ultimately came down to a decision of sacrifice and a desire to provide for my family. I live in Dallas but commute to Fort Worth daily...I viewed as a temporary commitment because I would get a job in Dallas once it is all said and done. Looking back, UNTHSC was the best choice for me anyways...I absolutely love the program and would not change my decision even if everything else opened up!

5. What have you liked about the program at UNTHSC?
The faculty are committed to the students. The facilities are amazing. The culture of Fort Worth is unlike anything else. We rub shoulders with other students from the other health science programs at times...no classes with the DOs but we have the opportunity to be involved in student leadership with them. The student government is top of the line! If you are accepted into UNTHSC, get involved with student leadership, trust me! Your career will be light years beyond your peers because you will have learned how to manage life in the midst of practicing medicine...plus your leadership involvement will open more doors than you can possibly imagine...trust me!

6. During the didactic phase, what was your study strategy?
I would arrive as early as possible...for me it was about 6:30AM...remember that this was because I was coming from Dallas. I would read on past lectures/topics and future lectures/topics. I had a study buddy and we would quiz each other daily. I would try to treat school like an 8-5 job and keep school at school...when home during the week I would give my time to my wife...the weekends I would study a lot. So, my main tools were powerpoints, books, online books, and personal notes/charts.

7. What has surprised you about PA education?
That it's hard but doable. When discouraged, I would always look ahead at the upperclassmen and remember that they were able to survive and so could I. I have been most surprised at the transformation that has occurred from being a laymen to becoming a professional clinician...trust me...it will happen...don't get overwhelmed...because you will make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...