Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Interview with a PA-C working in Critical Care

This is a quick interview I did with one of the PAs I work with in the CCU.


1) Why did you choose the PA profession?

I decided to be a PA because it allows me to have the level of patient interaction I wanted plus I can have a flexible home life as well.


2) Tell me abou the application process (how many schools, interviews, etc)


I only applied to Southwestern as I knew I was not going to be able to move further than Dallas. I interviewed 2 x and was accepted on my second application cycle.


3) What was your study strategy during the didactic phase?

I studied during didactic the same as I did in undergraduate. You are provided powerpoints for all the lectures in addition to all the books. The exams pretty much come from information provided in the powerpoints.


4) What has surprised you since you've become a PA-C?

Everything surprises me at this point. I still haven't gotten it in my mind yet that I am actually a PA.


5) How do you think the role of a PA will change in the future?

I think the PA profession will continue to grow and PAs will be more in demand and our roles will expand allowing us to enter into new areas of medicine much more freely like the ICU for example.


6) What advice would you give an aspiring PA?

The PA profession is very challenging and competitive. Don't give up if you encounter set backs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...