Sunday, October 2, 2011

Interview with PA-S

Here's an interview I did with a PA student at UTSW:

1) Why did you choose the PA profession?
I wanted to be able to have a job that would allow me to work in health care, but have some responsibility and decision making. Being a PA was a great way to do that, and still be able to have a life.

2) Tell me about your application process (how many schools applied to/interviewed at, favorite part of interviews)
Well...I only wanted to go to UTSW, so I only applied there. Probably a bad decision, but oh well. And I don't know if I had a favorite part, it was kinda stressful, hoping I would answer correctly. Meeting the current students was nice though.

3) Why did you pick UTSW?
Being from Dallas, I've heard about UTSW for a long time. I've wanted to be here for awhile. At the time I applied, it was also ranked very high on the list of PA schools, the ranking has dropped some, but it's still pretty good. Plus, UTSW has what seems to me to be a better student experience. There are always problems, but the rotations and lectures are great. And rotating at parkland is always a great deal.

4) What was your strategy during the didactic phase?
Just stay afloat! Ha, seriously, I studied a lot. The first summer was really hard, but that may be because I had been out of school for awhile. Basically, I studied pretty much every night. That kept me on top of all the classes and multiple tests. I found a couple of study buddies and we would study on our own, then meet up a day or two before the test to have a gigantic review and go over the objectives together. That worked pretty well, since I'm usually better at studying alone, but having the group session showed me what I had missed, or not prioritized.

5) What has been your favorite clinical so far?
Surgery and my current ICU one. But of course, I'm a surgery person and love it! Medicine was hard, but I learned so much.

6) What advise would you give to a PrePA? What preparations would be valuable beyond prereqs and shadowing?
Hmm. Probably to have some volunteer hours. I know a lot of people who came straight out of college, and they got in because of being "well-rounded", with volunteer hours, and other interesting backgrounds. Just emphasize your "whole package" thing. Yes, a good GPA is great, but can you interact with people, do you have a good bedside manner? Can you talk to all sorts of people? Also, reference letters can make or break you. Meet the right people, and their letter can do wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...