Thursday, October 13, 2011

Interview with PA-S from Baylor

Here's an interview witha PA-S from Baylor.

1) Why did you choose the PA profession?

I worked in management consulting right after I finished undergrad. Even though I was getting paid well and enjoyed the challenges of work, I always felt like something was missing. In 2005 I was invited by a friend who was a PA (Baylor grad) to go on a medical mission trip to Kenya. Even though I wasn’t a medical professional, it was an amazing experience just being able to observe the amazing gift of medicine and healing. As I continued to work in consulting, the 80 hour work weeks and constant travelling eventually got to me. I decided to quit my job and go back to school, and the rest is history!

2) What did you do to prepare for application to PA school?

I quit my job and went to school full time to finish up all my prereqs. I had to retake the GRE, because the previous one I took was more than 5 years old. I also spent some time shadowing PAs, nurses, and doctors.

3) Tell me about you're application process (multiple attempts, which schools, how many interviews)

I actually didn’t intend to apply the year I was accepted. My plan was to either become a CNA or MA and get more hours under my belt, and then apply the following year. However, as a long shot I went ahead and applied to BCM and UTMB. I did not expect to get in, and was planning on making my net much wider the following year…but I lucked out and got accepted at BCM (which was my first choice)! Since I already accepted BCM’s offer prior to getting UTMB’s interview invite, I declined my other interview.

4) What was your favorite part of interviewing? What do you wish you were more prepared for?

I loved the interview process because it gave me an opportunity to freely articulate why I wanted to be a PA, without the confines of a paper application. Take advantage of that opportunity. As much as they are interviewing you, know you are interviewing them as well – ask yourself whether you could see yourself fitting in at that school.

5) Why did you choose Baylor?

Here are some things that helped me pick BCM:- First is that BCM has brand equity and name recognition among physicians. Many physicians don’t know about PAs, but most know about BCM. This definitely helps when you graduate and begin thinking about jobs. In that regard, some would argue that medical school reputation is more important than a PA school ranking.- It’s the only PA school in the Texas Medical Center in Houston (the largest medical center in the world!). You’ll have opportunities to do and see so many things at rotation sites throughout the TMC that not many others have the opportunity to see.- Right when I stepped into the BCM interviews, I sensed that there was definitely a family atmosphere. Everyone was so incredibly nice and laid back. Everyone watches out for everyone else, and all the faculty seemed to genuinely care for their students. There is no competition at all, and everyone is very collaborative, and works for the success of those around them. - Also from the BCM PA grads I have met, they all seemed to be extremely sharp, confident, competent…yet compassionate and humble. I asked myself if PAs I met from BCM were people I could see myself as striving to become, and the answer was yes.


6) What strategies did you use to keepup during the didactic phase?

I think the trick is to know that no two people study the same way, and that’s OK. Never feel pressure to study a certain way just because your classmates are doing so. Some study best in groups, some study best as individuals. Some study way in advance, some people like to cram. As long as you are passing, that’s all that is important…but if you aren’t doing well, make changes to your study habits quickly, because PA school comes at you fast. Some strategies that I’ve seen my classmates use that can be helpful: flashcards, mnemonics, white-boarding, re-writing notes, and using USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 review books.


7) What has been your favorite clinical rotation so far?


For me my favorite clinical rotation has been inpatient internal medicine. As an engineer and former consultant, I love problem solving and attacking open ended problems – and I felt internal medicine granted many of those opportunities. Every patient, every disease state, every situation was a brand new learning experience for me, and I enjoyed soaking up every moment of it.

8) What, besides prereqs and shadowing, would you recommend doing to prepare for PA school?

As PA school becomes more competitive, I think health-care experience is getting more and more important. People who are med techs, ER techs, EMTs, MAs, CNAs, etc etc all have an edge when it comes to PA school


9) What advice do you have for future PA-Ss?


-If you are young and just finishing undergrad, make sure that you do not want to go to medical school instead. I think it’s easy to think that PA might be a shorter route, but if you love the practice of medicine, then becoming a physician might be the way to go. Not saying this is true for everyone, but just take a hard look at why you are going to PA school and not medical school. I’ve seen time and time again people working as PAs for a while and realizing they had wished they had gone to medical school to begin with

-Apply to as many schools as possible, but only apply to the schools you see yourself going to. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket

-The path to becoming a PA can be tough at times, but it will be a blast…enjoy the ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...