Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Interview with PA-S from UNTHSC

Here's an interview from a PA student at UNTHSC who just graduated!


1) What made you decide to be a PA? I’ve always looked up to my own pediatrician growing up and truly appreciated how he treated my family and I so graciously. I aspired to serve others in that way and instill hope and confidence in children and their parents. I didn’t actually know what a PA was until I was in my second year of college and another student told me about it, sparking my interest. After some research into the career, I decided that this career path would fit my lifestyle better than going to medical school to be a physician. I would still have the wonderful opportunity to serve in pediatrics in the way I dreamed, however I would finish school faster and be able to have the family life I always envisioned for myself before the age of thirty. Felt like the perfect dream. 2) How did you choose UNTHSC? What was interviewing like?

Choosing UNTHSC was easy for me. My family is based in Fort Worth, so I was incredibly blessed to get in. I also thought the campus was pretty and nicely located in the middle of Fort Worth. The people had such a friendly vibe and I felt like it was easy to connect with everyone. Interviewing at UNTHSC was a little more intense than the interview at UTMB, but at the same time I felt more comfortable with the faculty. I remember I was in the afternoon interviews, so we had a quick bite to eat while sitting with faculty and other applicants. Then there was some sort of essay to write in a given time, a one on one interview with the faculty, and a team exercise with other applicants. It was stressful, but I tried to maintain my cool! That’s pretty much how everything went! It was all stressful, but then again I’m a worry bug. 3) What has surprised you about PA school?
Looking back on PA school, what surprised me was how hard it actually was. What also surprised me was how much you realize you are capable of learning! The learning curve applies to learning how to learn. Once you get your study habits on track, it goes much smoother. 4) What study strategies worked? Did that change on rotations?
During didactic, I realized quickly that my old study habits of making flashcards and reading were not going to cut it. I turned to my classmates for help and quickly realized that I needed a study buddy. I needed to review things out loud with someone to ensure that thought processes were correct and test one another to see multiple perspectives of the same material. I needed to see how the same information could be asked in different ways. I also used test banks like ExamMaster and books like PANCE Prep Pearls to figure out what were the main highlights and must knows within a topic. On rotations I had to fend for myself. I mostly used PANCE Prep Pearls book and ExamMaster to review material and topics. I also reviewed over old notes from didactic occasionally.
5) Tell me about your involvement and experience with TAPA.
TAPA was a great opportunity to do something outside of school with my classmates while also benefiting my career. My classmates and I always made a fun trip out of it and we got to see and meet students and alumni from other programs. It gave me a chance to learn about different career opportunities and practice communicating with other professionals. I think I went to at least one conference each year, if not two! It was fun to go to different cities and also to learn about what our career had to offer and what changes were being made. 6) Any plans for after graduation?

I found a job in primary care pediatrics! Start in August, so I have a couple months of lounging around and enjoying my last ever summer break!
7) What advice would you give an aspiring PA?
I would say that you should keep pushing through! All the hard work will pay off! Work hard to keep your GPA high in undergrad, volunteer, shadow, and don’t burn any bridges with anyone because you never know where a relationship will lead. Networking is key! I found my first job through my rotations! It is a great career and totally worth every moment of hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...