Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Interview with Emory Student

Here's an interview with a student from Emory who also has a neuroscience masters.

1) What made you decide to be a PA?
I decided to be a PA sophomore year of undergrad at UTD. I was originally doing a degree in neuroscience and thought medical school was my only option to be able to practice medicine, though I remember feeling less than excited about the career as a whole. I don't remember how I learned about it but as soon as I came in contact with the PA career I was sold. I knew that it would afford me the opportunity to interact with patients, practice medicine, and follow my passion of life-long learning. In addition, the biggest perk to me was the flexibility. The opportunity to practice in various specialities throughout my career as interests change or if I just felt the need for a new and different challenge 15 years from now continues to inspire me about the PA profession.
I also have had the pleasure of working with some wonderful PAs while I was doing intraoperative neurophysiology for spine surgery before PA school. I always looked at them with envy and couldn't wait to be in their shoes. Neuromonitoring was a great career but I missed the ability to have follow-up with the patients I saw. The full continuum of care was another aspect of being a PA that I felt I was missing. 2) Tell us about your first Masters degree.
My first masters degree was in applied cognition and neuroscience at UTD. It came about as an excellent opportunity where I could do a fast-track program and essentially complete the degree in one additional year. I absolutely loved the program and would find out a few years later that it made the neurology module as well as pharmacology go much more smoothly in PA school as a lot of the information was a second or third pass of learning at that point. 3) How did you choose Emory? What was interviewing like?
The short, and uninspired answer to this question is that it's the first school I was accepted to...but the more substantial reason is that i felt that Emory had an exceptional program with vast opportunities and I absolutely loved it as soon as I stepped foot on campus. Some of the high points of Emory's program include the anatomy course with gross dissection in a 6:1 ratio with classmates, the simulation labs including a Harvey simulator, and 1st year experience getting to do H&Ps in the hospital on patients with conditions that correlated with whichever module we were learning at the time. The program really gets the students involved early and helps to sort of get your feet wet before clinical year. In addition, Emory is committed to serving the community and I have had the honor of serving at the Good Samaritan clinic as well as a week long service project providing healthcare to the South Georgia farmworkers. Long story short, Emory's program is very well-rounded and it made it a very easy 'yes'.

They've done a great job of incorporating ultrasound lectures and hands on practice for each module and have a strong focus on point of care ultrasound, especially in performing an efast exam which I think is an extremely beneficial skill to being to the table.

The interview was great. It was one of the few that did laid back group interviews. There was no complex, stress-inducing, cow bell ringing and running from room to room like the multiple mini interviews. It was a simple conversation with a couple faculty members, a community PA, and a current student that was fun and surprisingly relaxing. 4) What has surprised you about PA school?
What has surprised me most is the incredible backgrounds that my fellow students have. It has been really awesome to be surrounded by people with such diverse prior jobs, career,s and outlooks on life. I've been able to learn a ton both academically and personally from my classmates which has been a great surprise. 5) What study strategies worked? Did that change on rotations?
Everyone studies a little different but what worked for me was before the start of each module I would watch the board review on that topic to get a broad first exposure to the information. Then with each PowerPoint lecture I would go home that night and take hand notes from them of what I thought was important. Then also supplement with information from readings to expand upon parts I felt I needed more details on or to help really understand the 'why'. I love using Ferri's clinical advisor as a supplemental resource. It's a great book that gets updated yearly. It has pretty short and sweet summaries of most diseases and gives basic info, epidemiology, diagnostic tests, treatment strategies, when to refer, and considerations. It was a lifesaver in didactic as well as clinical year. On rotations I primarily try to read up on conditions that I encounter in practice and then create a study guide based off of the PAEA blueprint for each end of rotation exam. It's quite a bit of work but has paid off nicely. I also spend a lot more time now doing practice questions through exam master and smarty-pance which really help to solidify the information and begin the prep for the PANCE.


6) Any plans for after graduation?
Hopefully take a vacation! But also studying for the PANCE-gotta earn that 'C' to make this all worth it. As far as a job goes, I'm on the search. I have loved a few rotations and think I know what I would like to do but will see how the job search goes and hopefully find the right match both personally and professionally.
7) What advice would you give an aspiring PA?
Advice I would give to someone who's considering or applying to PA school, I would say make sure you are going for the right reasons and ensure you're in a good place in your life to dive in. PA school can be pretty grueling and will test your limits mentally and emotionally and put a strain on your friends and family who may not understand your absence. Make sure you're going in to this because it's your passion because that love and grit may be the only thing that pushes you toward another day. But know that it gets better in clinical year; you just have to make it there! For those that are already in it. I know anatomy was one of the hardest courses and most time consuming but if you buckle down and spend the time on it now, learning disease processes and why they are occurring will be so much easier later. Also you'll look like a rock star when you get 'pimped' in surgery--and that will definitely be worth it

1 comment:

  1. Hemp has a symphony of over 400 compounds such as cannabidiol validcbdoil, secondary phytocannabinoids, and terpenoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. These compounds work synergistically to enhance the beneficial effects of cannabidiol. This is why we believe so strongly in making hemp extracts from whole plants. With this in mind, we also understand that sometimes we just want a promotion. In particular, the increase in CBD. Listening to our consumers, we've added CBD Isolate to our product line so you can enhance your full-spectrum cannabis supplement routine whenever you need it.

    ReplyDelete

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...