Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Things I did - Choosing a PA school

When I decided I wanted to be a PA, I found out that there was a nearby program that was highly recognized. In the back of my mind I decided that was the school I would go to and focus my efforts on it. A year into the process, I began to meet people from several different programs. I started reading blogs from PA students in other parts of the country. I looked through schools rankings from US News and lists on the AAPA website. I stepped back and realized that I needed a better criteria for selecting a program. I also learned from an admissions committee leader that her program didn't take a candidate seriously if they only applied to one program.

Below are some of the things you will want to consider when deciding which programs to apply to and which to skip.


Cost: There are many ways to offset the expense of PA school, but the amount of debt you accumulate during school will impact you no matter how you address it. If you are choosing between two schools with a noticeable cost difference, ask yourself what does the more expensive school offer that will help me as a practicing PA. Is it worth the added expense?

Family/Support Structure/Commitments: I have a wife and a child, so I can't make a decision about PA school without considering how it will impact them. I talked with my wife (who has her own career) from the start and when application time came around, we selected cities that had programs I liked and opportunities she liked. Consider what commitments you have and what your support structure (friends, family, etc) will look like while in school.

Program Focus: Do you want to go into surgery? Do you want to work in a border town? Many of the programs have unique strengths that become apparent as you get to know them. Look for a program that will prepare you best for what you want to do.

Prerequisites: I have some academic blemishes that have taken work to address since starting back to school. Even with my efforts, there are several programs that will not look at my application. Be sure to carefully read the prerequisites of each program and make sure you meet/exceed each of them. If a program wants a 3.25 overall GPA and you have a 3.1, you may not want to waste the money applying there. You definitely shouldn't get your hopes up.

Culture: As I attended information sessions and heard different program leaders speak, I discovered that I really resonated with a few of the programs. Surprisingly, the ones I thought I would like ended up being the ones that I didn't click with as well. Get to know the programs as best you can. What are their attitudes about school? About students? About the profession? There's not a wrong answer, but make sure you answers match theirs.

PANCE Pass Rates: If a PA program can't prepare you to pass the PANCE then what are you paying them for? Check the pass rates, rates for first time takers and overall rates, look for trends over the last 5 years, look for reasons (good or bad) that the rates are what they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...