Thursday, February 7, 2013

Interview with a Surgical PA-C

1)  Why did you choose to be a PA?

I graduated with  BS in biology from Wagner College in Staten Island New York.  For three years after graduation I taught Biology and Chemistry and at a local catholic high school.   As much as I enjoyed it, I wasn’t going to stay there forever.  Since Wagner had a PA program I had a handful of friends who were already practicing PAs.  The more I continued to talk with them the more I decided that becoming a PA would be a great fit for me.


2) How did you pick UMDNJ? What was your interview process like?

My undergraduate GPA was not good.  I want to say it was around a 2.5.  I went back at night to retake some prerequisites and I made sure I had a 4.0 in all of those classes.  With such a low GPA I applied to almost every school I could drive to.  Living between NYC and Philadelphia that was almost 10 schools.
I was surprised to be granted interview at the first two schools I heard from.

The UMDNJ interview was the first one.  I went early and dressed in a suit.  I remember waiting in the outlying room as other candidates went in for their interviews.  I went into the room and sitting behind a small table were probably two faculty members and one or two students.  They asked a lot of questions, but I only remember one.  They asked me what I would do if I were not accepted.  I remember the question because I told the truth and at the time I wasn’t sure that it was a good idea.  I told them that I didn’t know what I would do.  My wife and I were planning on starting a family and we may not want to wait another year.

I heard back from them a week later and I canceled all the rest of my interviews.


3) What strategies worked for you during your program? Did they change when you entered the clinical phase?

I changed study strategies hundreds of times throughout PA school.  I used piles and piles and piles of index cards for anatomy my first year. I wrote test questions and little study guides my second year.  Some classes i focused and took tons of notes.  Others I did crossword puzzles while only half listening.  It depends alot on the class and how much your brain can take.  It is a ton mental work.  It is exhausting and it is a marathon.  I studies in groups and I spent hours alone in a cubicle.  I found I don’t do well for focusing for long periods of time. I prefer the 25 minutes on 5 minutes off technique.  I find my brain works better that way.  In Stephen Covey’s The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People the seventh habit is called sharpen the saw.  The premise is that if you are going to be cutting down trees for a 8 hours you can get a lot more done if you stop and sharpen your saw for at a 4 hours.  If you just keep cutting you will work harder and accomplish less.  I noticed this strongly in PA school and I have brought it into every area of my life.


4) What was your biggest surprise once you started working as a PA-C?

The biggest surprise I had was that people started to trust me immediately.  Nurses would ask me questions as if I knew something.  Scrub techs stopped watching me like a hawk.  Nothing had changed since graduation, but somehow a lot had changed.  Don’t worry when you get there you will be ready for it.


5) What area of practice are you in now? What does a week look like for you?

I currently work for the department of surgery in a small community hospital.  I first assist on any case that a surgeon at our hospital needs help with.  I did a robotic prostate yesterday.  I have lumbar fusion case today.  I have a C-section scheduled for Monday.  I am lucky enough to have the job I went to PA school to get.  I am in the OR 5 days week with a huge variety of cases.  I don’t take call.  I don’t work nights, weekends or holidays.  It really is fantastic place to be


6) You have a great and thorough review website. How did that get started? What are your goals for PA Exam Review?

I got started producing content for Physician Assistant Exam Review because I couldn’t find what I was looking for.  I wasn’t in love with any of the review books out there.  I also really enjoy listening to podcasts and I couldn't find anything on medical review that I could use.  I decided to create what I couldn’t find.

I initially set out to write a review book, but I don’t think that's what I’m doing anymore.  I am building a place where PAs can go to feel like they are not alone when preparing for their exam.  The PANCE is one thing.  You are surrounded by a group of people in the same boat.  When you take the PANRE you are alone. Even if you work with other PAs you are still alone because their cycles likely don’t match up with yours.  So my biggest goal is to create a place for PAs preparing for their exams to feel welcome.

7) Any advice for aspiring PAs?

Get started now.  I put it off for three years debating what to do.  It’s a great job.  You may be worried about the three year commitment, but you will be three years older whether you go to school or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...