Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Interview with an Admiral

This past fall I had a chance to meet with Rear Admiral Epifanio “Epi” Elizondo, Ph.D., PA-C, the Regional Health Administrator for Region 6, Department of Health and Human Services. You can read an excellent article for more on his position and background, and here to see his most recent distinction in the PA world. Since we met in his office (a federal building) I didn't get to video our conversation. I made furious notes the whole time we spoke and, afterwards, had a difficult time putting them into a coherent post. Below are, in no particular order, some thoughts about our conversation. 


Remember where you come from - Admiral Elizondo showed me around his office and pointed out several notable items: a picture with Janet Reno, a flag given to him by the First Lady, several awards for his service and work, etc. We came across a black and white close up photo of a women working in a field. "That's my mother." He told me how he keeps the photo to remember where he came from. His mother worked hard to provide him with opportunity so that now he may help others. It's humbling to remember, and it's important. 


Public Health = Population Perspective - Starting in clinical medicine, Admiral Elizondo worked directly with patients. While he was able to make a great impact on each person, he told me how public health let him reach many people at once. Cleaning up a water supply means a whole population doesn't need to keep making trips to a clinic. For him, it was a chance to have a broader impact and help more people with his time.  


Think Career - As he walked me through his career, he described an incredible amount of intention during each step. Moving from the Air Force to the Public Health Service not only opened up new avenues of practice, but allowed quicker advancement for a new officer his age. Making the most of a position in correctional medicine meant taking on extra projects, but it also let him learn new leadership skills needed to advance. Admiral Elizondo didn't just work hard; he worked wisely to make the most of his career. 


Always another way to help - I had not heard of Operation Lone Star, but in talking I learned of this initiative to address health disparities along the Texas border. I was fascinated to know that a) there was a coordinated effort that occurred regularly to intervene in this massively under served area b) even though I've spent tons of free time trying to learn all the ways to serve locally, I had no idea this existed since 1998.


Take the time, take the opportunity - I emailed the Admiral's office to see if I send a few questions to share on this blog. It was a great surprise to be invited to his office to speak with him in person. Hearing his journey showed me countless times that he learned to make the most of what he was given. Being able to talk one on one with him about his career was an amazing honor and one that I would not have come across if he wasn't eager to help out an aspiring PA. In this field more than any other, I consistently find people who are excited to help anyone interested in the profession. Be sure to take the opportunity and reach out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...