Thursday, November 3, 2011

Interview with PA-S

Here's another student interview with Hilary Hoff from UNTHSC.

1) Looking back, were there any critical steps you took or wish you took to get ready for PA school? Any that weren't recommended?

When I started out as an undergrad, I began keeping a log in which I recorded everything that I thought would help on my application. This included shadowing, volunteering (both medical and non-medical), leadership positions, awards, ect. I wrote down dates, hours, and contact information (just in case I needed someone for letters of recommendation). This helped TREMENDOUSLY when it came time for completing my CASPA. I volunteered for any opportunity I could that involved healthcare. Two semesters (once a week) I volunteered in an ER, one semester I volunteered in an ICU, and for one year I volunteered at a free health care clinic. I was very shy when I started at each, but as time went on, I became more comfortable which the nurses, doctors, and PAs. I began asking more questions and asking to do more tasks such as vitals and EKGs. They began to trust me more and let me take part in more procedures such as endoscopies and surgeries. I wish I would have been more assertive and curious from the beginning!
Be well rounded. Volunteer for a variety of things. I did Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, Relay for Life, and multiple church events. Also, if you have hobbies such as sports, take part in them and do things that are related to them...like coaching a little league team or something!
I wish I had gotten to know my professors better. I didn’t do that enough and it was hard for me to ask one to write a letter of recommendation. When it came time to ask my letter writers for letters, I made up a folder for them that included my personal statement, resume, and individualized letter asking them to send in the letter by a certain date (I would say within two weeks of giving it to them) and thanking them for their time and help on this journey. I also included an addressed and stamped envelope to CASPA so that it would make the letter writing as easy as possible.

2) Any recommendations on shadowing?

Shadowing is a must for PA school. I shadowed an RN twice in high school, two PAs throughout college (during the summer, spring, and winter breaks), and a doctor once a week for a semester in college. I wasn't 100% sure which route I wanted to take. However, I feel that this was something I was able to talk about during my interviews. I was able to say that I had shadowed each and felt that becoming a PA was the best professional choice for me. You don't have to do this; it's just what I did. If you are already 100% sure PA school is for you, shadow as much as you can! You learn so much in clinic! Ask lots and lots of questions! And I recommend taking a note pad and paper to take notes or jot down questions you have that the PA may not be able to answer in the room. Be sure to ask first if bringing a note pad in the room is OK. There could be some kind of HIPAA violation or something....my PA was fine with it though. I kept a little "journal" throughout the shadowing experience and wrote down things I learned as I went. As you already know, there is a section on the CASPA that puts heavy emphasis on shadowing.


3) Tell me about your personal statement. How did you decide what to put in?

Your personal statement should be unique. Make yourself stand out. Just be honest with them and yourself. I had a unique experience that involved witnessing a major accident my sister was part of and this really influenced my decision to enter the health care field. I’m sorry I don’t have a lot of advice on this part. You just have to speak from the heart.

4) Have you joined TAPA? What about AAPA? Thoughts about joining?
I DEFINITELY recommend joining! They have so many helpful resources from newsletters to contacts to conferences. You have to be a member to go to the conferences. They are really helpful because you have lectures from PAs around the country and state. You also have the opportunity to meet so many other PAs and students. It is neat to be able to hear their stories and experiences. Additionally, you will be able to network and find potential employers. As a student, you get a HUGE discount to become a member. Also, you can participate in the annual challenge bowl. This entails a team of three from your school (each school can have multiple teams) in which you will be answering questions that actually come from the PANCE exam you will take before becoming a PA. It is nice to gauge how much you actually have learned. You can go to both the state and national conventions (I’ve never been to the national, but you get to experience the political side of the career). You also get monthly newsletters and journals. JOIN FOR SURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...