Monday, November 21, 2011

Things I wish I had done: Prerequisite Map

One of the benefits of hindsight is sharing your lessons learned. These posts will hopefully help you more than they have helped me.

In planning my first semester, I got mediocre advise from one academic counselor and didn't plan the start back to school very well. I only took one class that first semester when I could have taken two or three. After talking with other students in the Post Bacc club at our school, I realized I had several ways to map out my path to complete the prereqs. At UT Dallas, Gen Chem is a prereq for Bio 1. What I didn't know was that you could take Bio 2 while you took Chem 1. I took Chem 1 by itself the first semester I started back. If I had to do it over, I would have taken Bio 2 and taken Chem 1 at community college in the same semester and/or Psycology.

Since all my upper level BIO classes will be from one university, I would have arranged my lower level bios to be from UT Dallas and all my chemistry classes from community college. If I had done this, I would already be familiar with my A&P professor. I could have also dodged some uncomfortable chemistry situations.

This is very subjective and specific to my situation, but I do think anyne who is starting down this path should investigate all their options for navigating their academic plan. Consider what classes to take together and if community college is a good option for some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...