Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Interview with PA-S from Baylor

I left out the questions since he included the ideas in his answers. Plus, they are the same questions I've used before, so it should be familiar.


1. I first decided to be a PA back when I was in high school, so my memory is a little fuzzy. Back then, I was drawn to the fact that PA is a financially lucrative job in health care that does not require spending as much time in school and residency as a physician. Over the years, I've been drawn more to the profession because of the lateral mobility it allows; sometimes I still am not sure what specialty I want to work in, but being a PA will allow me to try different fields and switch over the years if I choose.


2. To prepare for application to PA school, I set up a timeline: when I needed to take the GRE, finish certain courses, submit my applications, etc. I also made a spreadsheet of all the Texas schools I was applying to, and their individual requirements. It's a lot to keep track of! I also had my personal statement proofread by some friends and a career advisor at my university. I didn't practice interviewing, per se, but I thought about potential questions interviewers might ask (current events in health care, why I wanted to be a PA, etc.) and did some soul-searching about what my answers would be.


3. I only applied once, during my senior year of college, and was fortunate to be successful on that first attempt. I applied to Baylor, UTMB, UTSouthwestern, UTHSCSA, and UNT. I was offered (and attended) interviews at all 5, and was accepted to 4 (waitlisted at UTSouthwestern).


4. I enjoyed interviewing because it gave me the opportunity to travel to different cities and health care centers I had no familiarity with. It was fun to imagine myself in each of these locations and think about what the next few years of my life might be like. I felt prepared for each interview because I had researched the programs thoroughly and was prepared to discuss their curricula and mission statements. I was unprepared for how nervous I felt during some of them! I still believe I blew my UTSouthwestern interview because my nerves were just shot; I couldn't even read a simple bar graph for them! If this sounds like your personality, you may wish to practice a little bit beforehand.


5. I chose Baylor for a few reasons. I liked that the program was well-established with a great reputation. The location in the Texas Medical Center is second to none - You will have the opportunity to see things that only happen here, because it is a very special place. More than once, I've thought to myself "Dr. DeBakey walked these same hallsl!" More than anything, I felt comfortable during the interview. The faculty was welcoming, and students in the class above us that came to speak seemed content with their choice.


6. As for keeping up during didactic, my strategies kind of evolved. I had never needed to study much in college, and suddenly I had to. I tried everything: study groups, study partnerships, individual time, etc. Sometimes I made flashcards, spreadsheets, or drew pictures. I watched dissection videos and traced the muscle groups on my arm. I read over power point notes and did question books. It all depends on what works for you and which strategies seem best for each course.


7. My favorite clinical rotation is difficult to choose because I've had many good ones. I would have to choose OB/GYN with Dr. Crowder in The Woodlands. This was a fantastic rotation because he treated me like a colleague and was very eager to teach. We did everything from routine well woman exams and deliveries to vaginoplasty surgery. I worked really hard but gained a lot of experience. A close second would be my Community Medicine rotation - a unique concept to Baylor I believe. For 8 weeks I lived in a rural area and delivered primary care to an underserved population. I really became attached to these patients: I rooted for their problems to improve, lent a comforting hand when they cried, and gently scolded when they were non-compliant. I felt as if I really made a difference.


8. The biggest thing I think pre-PAs should do (that I did not), is become aware of how medicine works in the 21st century. This could be incorporated into shadowing if you ask the right questions and observe. Future PAs need to know that practicing medicine is not all rosy all the time. You will have to review charts and write notes on the computer - about half your time is sitting in front of the screen. You will have to know how to bill properly - enter the right diagnosis and management codes (that you aren't taught in school!). You have to be aware of liability issues; some steps you have to take in patient care not because you want to but because you don't want to be sued. Furthermore, there are dynamic relationships between PAs and other disciplines. You should know the meaning of having a "supervising physician." Depending on where you work and who you work with these relationships can have a variety of connotations.


9. I can think of tons of advice, but I'll try to limit it. Foremost, maintain your life outside of school. It can be tempting to feel as if you have to study all the time, but don't neglect your significant other, pets, family, or friends. Many of you will be living in a new place, so you should build some relationships. You will not do well emotionally or academically if you push yourself to the breaking point; set aside some time for fun. Also, always ask if you need help: Your classmates and faculty want you to succeed, but they may not know if you're falling behind until it's too late. On a similar note, when you're on rotations, ask as many questions as come to mind - This is your chance! Soon enough you'll be in the same scary situation as me, on the verge of being the PA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...