Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Interview with UTSW PA-S and new TAPA Student Director

1) Why did you choose to be a PA? 
I like interacting with and helping people. I knew my future career needed at least those two elements. I also love that clinical work can be like detective work. You are given a few clues to solve a mystery. It’s also interesting to see how the body’s systems interact with each other and the environment. I also love the patient education aspect of it because you can give people tools to help themselves.  

I specifically chose PA school because I appreciate that PAs can work in a variety of medical specialties throughout their career. This allows a clinician to build up a diverse skill set, which I consider essential to helping patients.




2) What did you do to prepare to apply? 
I tried to learn as much as I could about PAs. I shadowed 4 different PAs. It was difficult finding shadowing opportunities because of HIPPA concerns. I finally got through at 2 different clinics by cold calling multiple clinics I found through a PA google search.

I worked as an EMT-Basic for a transport service (taking patients to the ER and doctor and dialysis appointments) and through this experience I gained hands-on health care experience, as well as observed other health care providers in different settings- doctors and nurses in the ER and clinics.

I also volunteered at a homeless shelter clinic. I checked patients in for their visits and I learned about the role of the nurse practitioners in that clinic.

These experiences allowed me to see what I liked and didn’t like about the different roles in the health care team and it helped guide my decision to become a PA.




3) How many schools did you apply to and interview with? What were the interviews like? How did you choose UT South Western? 
I applied to 5 programs and interviewed at Texas Tech and UTSW. The Texas Tech interview was very laid back. It was a series of one-on-one interviews about who I am and why I want to be a PA.

The UTSW interview was interesting and fun (when you take the stress out of it). It consisted of 10 timed stations that placed you in various situations. I think it shows the interviewers an applicant’s real personality because you are put in situations that will bring that out. You can’t prepare for an interview like that and the best advice to any applicant is to “just be yourself and stay positive” (it sounds cliché and incredibly simple, but it’s the best thing to do).

To be honest, I really wasn’t sure how I felt about UTSW as I was traveling to Dallas for my interview. I didn’t seriously look into the program because I didn’t think I was competitive enough for one of their interview spots. The night before my interview, at the Meet and Greet, was when I really fell in love with the program and decided that it was #1 on my list. Through talking with the faculty and students, I discovered the heavily student-centered aspect of UTSW’s program and was able to see the care the faculty took with its students.




4) What has surprised you about UTSW's PA program so far? 
The faculty listens to our feedback and implements changes. For example, we were able to try out different test times one semester because of feedback from a previous semester. Also, the faculty will find time to meet with students if they request a meeting with them. Additionally, every student meets with their assigned faculty mentor at least once a semester to discuss their progress and/or concerns. If a student is struggling with any aspect of the program, then the faculty will intervene and spend more time with that student to improve their learning. They invest a lot of time into their students.



5) Have you found any successful strategies for surviving the didactic portion of your program?

I had to learn how to take breaks and allow myself some “recharge” time. You could study 24/7 outside of the classroom and still feel like you haven’t fully grasped everything.  What helped me the most is realizing that becoming a clinician is a lifelong process. I had to accept that I won’t get all of the information into my head for the exams, but that I should try to do as much as I can and I’ll pick up the rest as I progress in my training and career. I studied for didactic exams by thinking about what information will help me help patients, and I stopped focusing on grades.


6) What's the coolest things you've done so far?

Anatomy lab was pretty cool. Frustrating at times, but the dissections helped round out my understanding of certain disease processes.

We learned how to apply casts by casting each other and we’ve also learned suturing.


7) Any advice for future applicants other than good grades and shadowing?
Have diverse life experiences outside of medicine and science. Become a mentor or if you are taking time off between undergrad and PA school and are looking for work- try teaching with Teach for America. If you haven’t picked a major yet, then try something outside of the realm of science and medicine- I have a Bachelor’s in Journalism.

Health care experience is great because it shows that you can take care of patients. It takes a semester to become certified as an EMT-Basic, and depending on your location, you can work in the 911 service, an ER, or for an ambulance transport service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...