Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Interview with a PA-S from UTSW

Here's another PA student I met on rotation in the ICU.



1) Why do you want to be a PA?

I initially planned on applying to medical school until senior year of college. I shadowed a PA in the ER and saw that the PAs did similar things the MDs do. That's when I decided to pursue a career as a PA. I also liked the flexibility PAs have to switch from one specialty to another and that I would be able to practice medicine and providing for those in need in 2.5 years.


2) What did you do to prepare to apply (undergrad degree, any HCE, volunteering, etc)?

I did a lot of volunteering at two different hospitals during my summer semesters in college. I also shadowed family physicians and ER PAs for many hours. I had leadership positions with a couple of organizations. I worked as a student worker my senior year and then full time as a lab technician for a year and a half at a GI lab before going to PA school. My degree was in Biomedical Science


3) How did you pick UTSW? What was the interview process like?

What made me really attracted to UTSW was the interview  process. The interview was 10 scenario stations that would help the faculty determine your character, communication skills, critical thinking and dedication accurately in my opinion. That is 10 different chances that you could make a good impression so if somehow you don't feel confident in one station, there are many others along the way. In addition, they gave us a tour and the interactions with the current students really knocked it out the park. I really liked that they had medical spanish because I know Spanish would be very beneficial knowledge to have when practicing in Texas. It is unfortunate that medical spanish was taken out of the curriculum this year. The small class size of 36 was also a plus because it shows a closer faculty to student interaction. Last but not least, the fact that UTSW had a very good first pass PANCE rate showed me that the students were well trained. Now that I've gone through most of rotations, I have to say that they rotation sites are a big factor with deciding which school to choose because it is where you will learn and develop your skills and knowledge as a clinician. Parkland and the many hospitals around the Dallas area are great training sites and that the faculty finds the sites, so that the student wont have the responsibility to do so unless they are interested in doing an elective/selective out of town/state/country. Most of the sites are around Dallas area so no long commute needed. Furthest site is Temple, TX for internal medicine if you volunteer to go but they provide room and board.


4) What strategies worked for you during the didactic phase?

Best strategy for me was find ONE study buddy where you can review, discuss and quiz each other before tests. I had much success with the same study buddy since the second semester of didactic to the last clinical rotation test. In addition, don't procrastinate, have good time management and make sure you understand concepts.


5) What has been your favorite part of PA school? What challenged you the most?

Favorite part of PA school would be the rotations, you see improvement as you move further into your rotation but still have much to learn. The most challenging would be at the start of rotations, going from a specific block of organ system during didactic to clinical rotation when you have to start to broaden your DDX.


6) What have you liked about clinical rotations so far? What has surprised you?

My favorite rotation would be ER and my current critical care rotation, I love a mix of medicine and procedures. I loved the variety of illnesses seen during my ER rotation, from the common simple URI to orthopedics and ob/gyn to the more serious ACS, GI bleeds and COPD exacerbations. The procedures such as I&D, suturing and splinting added a nice combination too. My current CCU rotation so far has been a great learning experience because there were many serious illnesses that I was not able to see during internal medicine. I also wanted the exposure of how mechanical ventilation works and the many different pressors that are used along with procedures done in the CCU.



7) What advice would you give (beyond getting good grades and shadowing) to a future applicant?

The programs take every aspect of the application as a whole so they want a well rounded applicant. So take the opportunity in the personal letter to show how you set yourself apart from others, many programs want to broaden their student profiles. Be sure you get STRONG letter of recommendations. Many times letter of recommendations are "B" strength and some even harmful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...