Monday, March 19, 2012

Interview with a PA-S from UTSW

1) Why did you want to be a PA?

It wasn't until my last few weeks as a Peace Corps volunteer that I decided I wanted to become a PA. I knew I wanted to continue working in the field of public health, just as I had in-country for the past two years, but it wasn't until I met a PA who was serving as our interim medical director that I truly decided becoming a PA was the right choice for me. I told her I wanted to go into health care and was considering either becoming a physician or nurse practitioner, she looked at me and said, "deciding to become a PA was the best decision I ever made." I've never heard anyone speak so confidently and proudly of their profession before, so I talked with her over the next several days, did my research, and ended up taking my prerequisites and applying through CASPA as soon as I landed stateside. It has been one of the toughest, yet most gratifying things I've done to date.

2) What did you do before starting PA school?

I worked for about 10 years as an entomologist, computer programmer, and Peace Corps volunteer. I also volunteered at a free clinic and worked as a handyman in my free time.


3) What was your application process like? (how many schools, interviews, how did you choose)

Texas is amazing in terms of the number of PA schools we have. I applied to five different programs, interviewed at three of them, and was finally accepted at both UTSW and UNTHSC.

4) How does UTSW stand out to you? What do you now appreciate about the program that you weren't aware of during the interview?

UTSW has an amazing reputation, great facilities (I still remember being able to dissect an entire cadaver my first semester at school), the program includes medical Spanish as part of its core curriculum, our school is affiliated with Parkland (one of the largest teaching hospitals in the nation) and there are only 36 students in our class. I appreciate how personal the classes are and the solidarity I have with my fellow scholars.

5) What has surprised you about PA school so far?

I am constantly amazed and delighted at how brilliant all of my fellow classmates are and how encompassing the material we study is.

6) What has been your strategy for surviving the didactic portion of the program?

Creating a balance between studying and enjoying life is key. My wife and I schedule date nights, travel, and I even started playing guitar recently as a creative outlet to relieve the intensity of my PA program.

7) What do you wish you had done to prepare for PA school?

Somebody gave me the following advice when I was accepted to PA school: "Don't try to study before classes start. Enjoy your time with family, friends, and loved ones. Travel. Read something non-medical. You'll have plenty of time to study and cram your head full of diseases, diagnoses, and treatments once school begins."


8) What advice would you give a future PA?

Make sure you have all of your prerequisites in order.
Volunteer or work in health care.
Take the GRE and fill out your CASPA application as early as possible.
Shadow somebody.
Be yourself at interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...