Monday, March 12, 2012

Interview with a Texas Tech PA-S

1. Why did you want to be a PA?

Nearly everyone who embarks into the medical profession has the same compassion and desire to help others and to make them feel better. I believe that the PA profession is the best possible fit for me because I have the knowledge and experience to diagnose and treat the patients who come to me seeking care. Also, as a PA, I have more time to spend with patients and counsel them and their families on whatever questions they may have. Not only are there numerous job opportunities across the United States, but there is a great respect from physicians towards their PAs. For me, becoming a PA was the perfect choice because I have the ability to work whenever (part-time/full-time) or wherever I want which is very important to me and my family.

2.What did you do before starting PA school?


Before beginning PA school, I attended Baylor University and earned my Bachelor of Science degree in Neuroscience. While at Baylor, I would travel every other weekend to Dallas to work as an EMT at Children's Medical Center to gain more experience in the health care field. Although it was a challenge balancing undergrad and working, I really enjoyed working at the hospital because I was able to have that patient interaction that inspired me to continue my journey to PA school. I graduated from Baylor in May, 2010 and began PA school at Texas Tech in May, 2010.

3. What was your application process like? (how many schools, interviews, how did you choose)

I narrowed down which schools I applied to based on which prerequisites I took. I applied to 4 schools: UTMB, Baylor College of Medicine, OU and Texas Tech. Out of those, I interviewed at OU and Texas Tech and was accepted to both. Before interviews, I was almost 100% sure I wanted to go to OU for PA school. However, after I interviewed there and at Texas Tech, I felt that Tech was the best fit for me.

4. How does the Texas Tech program stand out to you? What do you now appreciate about the program that you weren't aware of during the interview?

What solidified my decision to attend Texas Tech was the atmosphere. I felt very comfortable and "at home" when I interviewed there. That isn't to say that they aren't a very rigorous program because even after almost 2 years of PA school, I would definitely say it is still very challenging and I have learned more than I thought imaginable! Also, another aspect that I was very attracted to was that they have 7 different regions of Texas that students choose from to complete their clinical rotations. They include: Waco/Temple (I was obviously drawn to this area being a Baylor grad! Sic 'Em!), San Angelo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, El Paso, Amarillo and Abilene. Once rotations begin, students will live in their selected region for a year and complete their rotations in that area. This was attractive to me because I would be able to live in one city for a year instead of traveling to different cities of the state every 6 weeks and attempting to secure housing while managing all of the other stressful aspects of PA school. Throughout my experience at Tech, I have found that the faculty and staff are very supportive and involved in the students journey of PA school. They are always available to answer questions or provide a better explanation for concepts that are challenging to grasp and their main goal is to help students in any way possible in order to achieve the awesome credentials of "PA-C". During my interviews at Tech, I certainly had no idea how much of a positive impact my PA school professors would make on my life during PA school and as a medical professional.

5. What has surprised you about PA school so far?

I guess what has surprised me about PA school so far is how much I have learned and how much I have yet to learn! They compare PA school to trying to drink from Niagara Falls: A lot of information to learn in a short amount of time. It doesn't matter how many times I can review certain details of particular treatments and diseases, I will always get them mixed up or forget an important detail. But, I am sure I will master them with time and experience!

6. What has been your strategy for surviving the didactic portion of the program?

I would definitely recommend finding a few good friends in PA school to study with during the didactic portion. In undergrad, I studied by myself and that worked for me. However, in PA school, there is so much to learn in such short amount of time that you need someone to not only hold you accountable to study (instead of being distracted by something) but to also be able to talk things out with. A lot of times, my friends and I would study certain topics and then we would discuss them and that would help solidify my understanding of those topics. Also, Starbucks and/or the library will become your new home!

7. What do you wish you had done to prepare for PA school?

I did not have as much shadowing experience as I think would have been helpful. Although I had hospital experience as an EMT, I was not as experienced with the common encounters and decisions that PAs make on a daily basis and I think that more shadowing hours would have helped this.

8. What advise would you give a future PA?

I would say to never give up! We all have our own challenges and struggles in our journey to acceptance into PA school and while we are there completing the journey to becoming a PA. It will be difficult at times but nothing worth having ever comes easy. So, stay focused and determined and you will achieve one of the greatest accomplishments of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...