Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Interview with a PA Student from UNTHSC

Here's an interview with a current student at University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth.

1. What made you decide to be a PA? 

I went to SMU and majored in Applied Physiology & Health Management (APHM) and Biology. As part of my APHM major, I had two opportunities that together inspired me to pursue a career as a PA. The first was being a research assistant in a physiology lab that evaluated sympathetic nerve activity in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients. I had a passion for research and data analysis, but I learned that what I enjoyed most was getting to know the patients and how their condition affected their daily lives. The second was a summer internship at the MS clinic at UTSW where I had the opportunity to shadow and conduct research with the physician, PA, NP, PT, and social worker. Here I saw the PA take care of patients in the clinic, conduct research, and teach lectures at UTSW. I was able to see just how broad the scope of a PA can be as well as how fulfilling this job is. I could see myself in a PAs shoes and ultimately decided to apply to PA school that same summer. 


2. How did you choose UNTHSC? What was interviewing like? 

UNTHSC was the school that was closest to home for me, but one of the biggest reasons I chose it was because of its vision for being “one university,” which meant interprofessional collaboration and teamwork between all the programs on campus. This was reiterated by the VP of Student Affairs and the faculty during the interview process and is something I have seen implemented into the core of our program. Programs like Interprofessional Education and Practice (IPE) and Seniors Assisting in Geriatric Education (SAGE) as well as all the interprofessional organizations on campus that bring students from different programs together are a unique and valued aspect of this program. The interview process was not a traditional one but rather consisted of multiple activities. I enjoyed this process because each activity targeted different abilities and strengths and allowed each student to be evaluated as a whole. 


3. What has surprised you about PA school? 

I was surprised about how hands-on the didactic year was throughout. Classes like Physical Exam Skills during the first semester got us right into practicing our clinical skills from the beginning. Classes like Clinical Integrative Medicine during which we practiced suturing, injections, pap smears, IV placement, and many other skills prepared us for rotations. It was a great mix of in-class and hands-on lab instruction and it was a pleasant surprise. 


4. What study strategies worked? Did that change on rotations? 

Three study strategies that worked for me were 1) reading notes out loud, 2) explaining what I’ve learned to a classmate, and 3) practice questions. Specifically, working through practice questions even before having learned all the material needed for an exam is something that is recommended to all students by the Center for Academic Performance on campus. One thing that changed on rotations was that I was no longer surrounded by all my classmates, and this made it difficult to go through material with a partner. However, the great thing about rotations is that I’m actively learning throughout the day while seeing patients, and this in itself helps solidify the knowledge that I’m studying at home. 


5. Tell me about your involvement and experience with TAPA

I was introduced to TAPA by our incredible Student Director for TAPA and have been a member since starting PA school. I have attended each of the TAPA conferences since then, joining workshops and lectures as well as getting to know students from other schools and competing in the Challenge Bowl. It has been an opportunity to network with so many great people. I have also received pertinent information and updates about current legislature and the issues facing PAs in Texas today. This has allowed me to gain knowledge on how TAPA advocates for PAs and PA students and the changes that they are making on our behalf, which has been extremely valuable.


6. Any plans for after graduation? 

Before I started PA school my plans for after graduation included leaving TX since I grew up here and I was ready for a change. However, Fort Worth has grown on me. I have gotten to know the beautiful community here and it is a city with great opportunities for PAs. I haven’t decided which specialty I’d like to go into yet, but I’m keeping an open mind and will be grateful to have an opportunity in the DFW area. Of course, all this after a relaxing vacation to celebrate graduating from PA school! 


7. What advice would you give an aspiring PA?

My biggest piece of advice would be to get involved in activities (leadership, volunteering, internships, community work, etc.) that you’re truly passionate about rather than what you believe will look impressive on a resume. The majority of activities I was involved in during college didn’t actually have anything to do with being a PA at all. For example, I volunteered at a jail for one semester where I helped offenders go through a rehabilitation program during which I saw them change and heal from their past. Being a part of that helped me to see just how much people can change if they are determined to do so and helped me develop a newfound compassion for these individuals. It is something I was able to talk about during my PA school interview process and an experience that has helped me as a PA student working with patients on rotations. Get involved with things that you are passionate about and it will take you a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...