Wednesday, March 13, 2013

First Month of PA School


Here's an interview with a PA-S 

1) How did you prepare for the start of PA school?

Honestly, I didn't really prepare. I had 2-3 weeks between undergraduate graduation and the beginning of PA school so I milked out those 2-3 weeks. I crammed in as many movies as I could while I packed for New Mexico! I just tried relax and enjoy as much time as I could with friends and family.


2) What has been the most interesting thing you have learned so far? What has been the hardest?

We have a class called Clinical Assessment and right away we're learning how to take a history and do a physical exam. We also do case studies every week where we learn about different conditions write a full SOAP note and we have to figure out what to prescribe to them. I feel like we've been pushed into the deep end of the pool, but it's really interesting and useful information! 

The hardest thing so far for me is just accepting that I'm not going to know everything. We are taking 22 credit hours of graduate level work and between anatomy, physiology, clinical assessment, a research course, and a professionalism course, there is an overwhelming amount of information we are learning about. No matter how much you study, there is no possible way to retain all of that information without losing sleep (and I definitely need my sleep!). I've recently learned to focus my studies on the material that's emphasized during lecture, then if I have extra time go back and study the rest of the chapter. It's really easy to get behind in other classes if you devote too much time to another class, so it's also a huge juggling act. 
Also, my anatomy teacher "pimps" students during lab so it's kind of terrifying, especially when you don't know the answer. Getting used to this method of teaching was an adjustment, but I really appreciate the one-on-one attention we get. It makes sure you stay on top of the material.


3) What study strategy has worked? What hasn't?

I kind of mentioned it in the previous question. Accept the fact that you're not going to know and retain ALL of the information. Just really focus on what the instructor emphasizes in lecture (so make sure you're paying attention in all your classes!). If you have extra time, go back and look at the rest of the info. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help!! One thing I love about my program is that we have such a small class size so everyone has become really close. There is absolutely no "competitive" mindset so everybody helps each other out. Don't be afraid to ask classmates or your professors for help. 
 

4) What do you like about PA school vs. undergrad studies?

Most of my classes in undergrad had huge class sizes. We have such a small class size in my program so you get a lot more attention. Also, it's really nice learning anatomy on a human cadaver rather than just pictures from a book or various animal cadavers as we did in undergrad. 
PA school is a lot more work, but most of the material is stuff that I thoroughly enjoy studying so it makes it fun in a way. 

1 comment:

  1. Our society is built on mathematics, and juni learning review understanding its importance can help you find your place and interact with others more effectively.

    ReplyDelete

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...