Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Neurosurgery PA-C Interview

Here's an interview with a Neurosurgery PA-C

1) Why did you choose PA as your career?

Initially, I was considering becoming a physician, and the more I looked into it, the PA field is much more portable.  I would not be tied down to a practice location, or specialty.  I also like the idea of having an attending physician available to me at all times to provide ongoing consultation, and education which continues to mold my clinical judgment.  


2) Where did you go to PA school? How did you choose?

I applied to probably 7 different schools in TX, NY, IL and FL.  The TX schools I chose because they were for the most part, "local".   The others, I chose because they offered entry within a few weeks of my completing my pre requisites.  So, I could start pretty much immediately.   The other thing I took into consideration was, was whether the program went year round with few breaks, versus on a traditional semester system.  For me it was important to start and finish and begin working as a PA in the shortest time possible.  And, for all those reasons, I chose Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale FL.  


3) What do you do as a neuro PA? What does a normal day/week look like for you?

Typically, I have 1/2 day clinic on Mondays, full day on Wednesdays.  OR cases are scheduled for Monday afternoon and Tues, Thurs and Friday.  We do 7-15 brain and spine cases per week, and I see 25-30 pt in clinic, then do rounds and consults at 5 different hospitals.  There is another PA who shares the patient burden with me, and he is a great asset.   I am "on call" every other weekend, which means all hospital rounds and cases, and I help 3 surgeons during those times.  Not all of them require assistance every weekend, though.  I always make myself available to the other physicians, nurses, and hospital staff at any time, and they all have my cell number.  In this specialty, it is critical that the communication be uninterrupted so problems can be taken care of quickly. There are no "normal" days in Neurosurgery!  Each one is full of new challenges, and I relish that.   The environment is fast paced and can be stressful, but I am part of a team and we trust and support each other tremendously and that makes all the difference in the world.


4) How did you get connected to your current practice? Have you worked in other areas of practice?

A "headhunter" contacted me about my current position.  In the past, I have used the healthEcareers webiste on the AAPA site.  I have worked in Neurology, Neuro Interventional Radiology and Physical Medicine and Rehab, as well as Neurosurgery. 


5) I've read some people in specialty practice would prefer a more specialty focused PANRE. Do you like reviewing the generalist helps you as a PA or would you prefer to focus further into your specialty?

My field is so specialized, that I like having to refresh myself with the generalist PANRE.  I refamiliarize myself with skills and treatments I do not get to use on a daily basis.  It makes me a more well rounded PA with skills and knowledge that cross over into to other areas.  If I can recognize a patient's acute cholecystitis, or UTI, it keeps me from ordering what may be an unnecessary MRI of the spine when I can treat and manage these other issues and get them the care they need. 


6) The PA profession is continuing to grow, with new legislation, more PAs in medical leadership, and practicing in new areas. What would you like to see happen next professionally?

I am pleased that the PA profession is growing and more recognized in communities, & branching into other practice areas in order to serve patients.  Going forward, I would like to see PAs more recognized as legitimate providers of high quality care by more of the medical community and lay people.  The more active we are with supervising physicians in promoting the field, the more receptive patients will be to our involvement.  Professionally, I would like to see more partnering and discussion with, and among mid-levels,  Independent practitioners NPs and PAs, regarding best practices and how to better serve patients and our supervising physicians to expedite the best and most cost effective care for patients.


7) In addition to shadowing and getting good grades, any advice for future applicants?

Remember PA school is a great experience but is just the beginning.  Being a PA is a commitment, and very fulfilling.  Getting good grades is important, but once out of school, thinking quickly about how to solve problems is extremely important, and the ability to do so under stress. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving information. It is really good and helpful for the people. Keep giving such a valuable information.I will wait for your next post.....and if you want to know about Best Brain Tumor Surgeon in India you can check out this site once....

    ReplyDelete

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...