Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Interview with a PA-S on rotation


1) Why did you become a PA?

        I wanted the flexibility that being a doctor couldn't provide.  I like the idea that I could transfer between specialties without the requirement of a residency.  But I also wanted autonomy, the capacity to make high level decisions that comes with critical thinking and problem solving.  I also love the field of medicine and meeting new people everyday.
2) How did you prepare to apply to PA school? (Undergraduate degree, work, volunteering, etc)

        BS in biology with a minor in chemistry; worked 2.5 years as a laboratory technician in liver (DILI, Hepatitis) research; volunteered at health fairs, nutrition and weight loss programs for obese underprivileged families
3) Tell me about your application process (how many times, how many interviews, what were they like etc)

        I was fortunate to only apply once.  I applied to about 15 schools. I started getting interviews in aug/sept (I interviewed at 4 schools). My last interview was with UTSW in October and a week later they accepted me so I cancelled my applications at the other 14 schools.    I got accepted to all the schools I interviewed at and cancelled my applications before I heard anything from the others.  My first interview was the typical one where they ask you why you want to be a PA? what you do for relaxation? etc.  That school told me the day of my interview that I was accepted.  One of my other interviews had critical thinking exercises in addition to a one-on-one interview.   And my interview at UTSW was a scenario based interview.
4) How did you pick UTSW?

        I liked the fact that UTSW had a dissection cadaver lab unlike other schools where you do a prosection instead of a dissection.  I liked that the tuition was cheap and only 36 student per class. I definitely liked the reputation of UTSW and the 100% PANCE pass score in the last 5 years was also appealing. 
5) What were some successful study strategies you used during the didactic potion of your PA program?

        Study early and don't procrastinate.  Try new methods of studying like forming a study group.  My methods didn't change much from undergrad except that I was studying more.
6) What has surprised you about PA school so far?

        How fast it's gone by and how I still don't feel prepared to start a job.  I hear this is a common fear and that it is still expected by future employers that you will still be learning.  We don't have a residency like med students so we have a lot of on the job learning.  Plus, I've heard you know more than you think once you start a job.
7) What have you enjoyed about rotations so far? What has surprised you?

        I've loved rotations.  I thought I would hate IM and surgery, but they actually ended up being some of my favorites.  I thought I would enjoy family med and it ended up being one of my least favorites.  My advice is always keep an open mind.  You never know where you will get a job after school so keep your options open.  What one person may love, you may hate or vice versa, so take other's opinions at face value. 
8) Any advice (beyond good grade and shadowing) for an applicant?

        If you don't get in, call the schools and see where you can improve your application.  Be yourself, they know you are nervous in interviews and will be making mistakes, but if you stay positive and show you can handle tough situations then they will strongly consider you.  Don't write the typical "I've wanted to work in medicine since I was a kid". It gets boring.  Share an experience that made you who you are today and why that has made you want to do medicine. 

2 comments:

  1. In the end, it comes down to getting a job in the area you want to live in the United States. Your visitors may find the following helpful when it comes down to actually looking for work:
    American Jobs for the Physician Assistant
    This site provides a list of PA career opportunities for each state in the USA. Should be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For high school students there is a game with solving problems for percentages. For the little ones there are games with the study of numbers and counting. There are kids math also games for learning the multiplication table, solving various equations, and even mathematical problems. With the help of games, the child can learn both with parents and independently. Subtraction, addition and other math simulators are waiting for you right now!

    ReplyDelete

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...