Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Interview from TAPA Rep. from UTSW

Here's an interview with Monica from UTSW.

1) Why did you choose to be a PA?
I wanted to become a PA after I did an extensive amount of research my senior year of college.  I've wanted to go into medicine my entire life. I specifically chose becoming a PA because the career allows for so much flexibility. I think part of the challenge with health care is that people can become burnt out. I found a field that will let me provide care to people when they are the most vulnerable but in a way that doesn't restrict me and will give me the most opportunity for life learning. 


2) What did you do to prepare to apply?
I wrote about 10,000 copies of my personal statement and made my friends and family read them. 
I looked up each school I was applying to and read their mission statements and tried to find people I knew who went to the schools to ask about pros and cons. 
I read a lot on the PA boards online.  I read PA blogs (like this one!)
I looked up interview techniques and practiced. 

And I spent time really trying to understand myself and why this is the best fit for me. In order to show other people you are meant to do something you have to know it inside and out.


3) How many schools did you apply to and interview with? What were the interviews like? How did you choose UTSW?
I believe around 10 applications. I was granted 4 interviews but only attended 2. 
They were nerve-racking and exhilarating at the same time. Both were very different. 

UTSW interview consisted of MMI (multiple mini interviews not mult. mini infarctions). I think it's a great way to get to know the candidates. The interview was engaging and helped loosen my nerves quite a bit.


4) What has surprised you about UTSW's PA program so far?
What surprised me about PA school in general is how different everyone's experience is. Some people have time to travel almost every weekend; while others never stop studying because they enjoy it and soak up the most information that way. 

Personally it seemed like nothing stuck during the academic year and that all the hard work was going to be for naught. I was constantly comparing myself to everyone else.  However, it just took rotations to make me feel much more confident as a provider. 


5) Have you found any successful strategies for surviving the didactic portion of your program?
Support each other. The people in your class are the only people who will completely understand you because they are the ones who went through the exact same things as you, even if their view point is different. Your family and friends will understand and be supportive but your classmates will really know what you're talking about when you need to vent or when you need help understanding something in your academics and program. 


6) What's the coolest things you've done so far?
In life? I met a president in the oval office once that was pretty cool. I also spent a week helping crew the coast guard barque eagle, that was also really cool.  (brag brag brag)

In PA school? Helping to deliver a child at Parkland. - I don't have any desire to go into obstetrics but it was an incredible and life changing experience that I will most likely never have again.  


7) Any advice for future applicants other than good grades and shadowing?
Stay focused but also live your life. When we have that much drive and passion to reach our goals it's easy to become blinded to missing out on life or to put it off. I'm cheesy but it's true. Without balance we tend to lose ourselves; and the part that we lose could be the exact thing that makes you an incredible care provider. 


Experience as much as you can so that you really know yourself before choosing your future career. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I just wanted to let you know that I have linked to this post and some others over at The PA Platform. You have really great information. Here is the link if you want to check it out! http://www.thepaplatform.com/blog-2/kn8f35ptaa7ysab2hhqjnqqyi4vx90?rq=southwes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Is there a way I can get in touch with Monica?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure thing! shoot me an email and I'll get you her contact info

      Delete
  3. Prioritizing & making anything smooth always senssse the best in any ecosystem. To protect along with run the entire process flows for all mentioned activities works properly. If someone go by the prescribed way then proper research plus authenticity is needed to proof the scenario. Find more in here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job. Substantial mechanism always shows the true path to make the documents or finished products perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...