Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Things I did to Prepare: Join TAPA

The Texas Academy of Physician Assistants (TAPA) is the professional organization for PAs at the state level. It organizes conventions, promotes the profession through legislative efforts, and connects PAs to one another. For the PrePA, TAPA (like the AAPA) is a great way to network and research current events that you would otherwise miss. Joining TAPA as a PrePA was very reasonable so I joined as soon as I heard about it. Tim Loerke's blog has a few posts here and here that talk more about TAPA.

What benefits did I get from joining?

- Membership listed on my CASPA - a nice way to show your serious about being a PA is to invest in an association
- Newsletter - These not only have articles from PAs around Texas but also current events and legistlative initiatives
- Connections - Being a TAPA member has let me meet and connect with in person and online. Also, I get a huge discount to the convention where I can meet reps from different specialties and schools.
- Help profession - I am glad to be able to help the efforts of TAPA even before I'm a PA. I feel more vested in the profession and in the path I am pursuing.

I'd recommend joining your state organization and possibly AAPA as well. If you haven't, check them out at www.TAPA.org and www.AAPA.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with a PA fro Interventional Radiology

Here's an interview with a PA working in IR. 1) Why did you choose to be a PA?  After college I worked as a health education research...